Thursday, April 30, 2009

Goldfinches (Day 30)

How cute are they?!?!?! It might make me a dork, but I love watching the birds at the feeder. It's not like Florida where we got more squirrels than birds. I've only seen a squirrel in our backyard here once in six years. Chipmunks I'll see every now and then. Couple mice, too. They're especially cute when they're flying at you off the end of a hockey stick. *cough* Kevin *cough*
Last year the goldfinches made a nest in the maple tree out front. Tiniest little nest I've ever seen. Here it is on the arm of one of the Adirondack chairs.When I was trying to get the pictures of the goldfinches at the feeder, I'd get a little too close, and they'd fly away, male and female together. I wonder if they mate for life like geese and ducks do? They were flying towards the front of the house. I'll have to check for a nest next time I'm out there.

Update: Rachel told me tonight that the Goldfinch is New Jersey's State bird. Ya learn something new every day!

1 comment: